Did you know that CbusFoodBloggers consists of over 50 different bloggers/instagrammers? Some of us you may already
stalk follow, and others you haven’t yet had the chance to meet! In an effort to help our readers get to know us and the bloggers behind our group, we conduct monthly interview highlighting one of our members. This month, we have Hannah Schaffter from Food or Flight!
- How did you become a food blogger? What is the theme of your blog/IG?
I guess you could say I became food focused by accident. I started taking more and more photos of everything I ate and soon realized that most of my Instagram feed was food. I found that I really enjoyed it and had a lot of fun going to different restaurants while connecting with the community. From there I decided to shift my focus and embrace being a full-time foodie!
My blog / IG account is centered around food and travel! They’re the two things I love most in life and will talk nonstop to anyone There’s nothing better than when the two of them collide and I get to explore a new destination while finding all of the local gems to grab a bite to eat at.
- What is your favorite thing to cook for yourself or others?
Now that the weather’s nicer out, I love using the grill to cook dinners. I find myself mostly grilling some kind of juicy red meat with a bright green veggie and of course top it all off with a glass of wine 😉 I recently grilled avocado and it’s now my favorite way to eat it!
Also… when the holiday season rolls around I go straight Mrs. Claus with the Christmas cookies! I absolutely adore the season and being in the kitchen that time of year.
- What makes the Columbus food scene great? Or what would you change?
The Cbus food scene is fantastic! Not only is the quality of food across the city incredible, there’s also such a variety of places with inviting atmospheres and fun aesthetics.
I appreciate the innovation and creativity that local entrepreneurs are constantly bringing to Columbus and how’s there’s always a new place to check out.
I think the city does a really good job at getting behind these smaller start-ups and I love watching them grown into successful businesses because of it.
I’m really big into supporting local and try to stay away from chains at all costs… but the addition of Shake Shack is a literal godsend!
- What restaurant(s) is at the top of your “must try” list?
I’ve only lived in Columbus for a total of five years so my list is seriously so long, like I have it broken up into categories to try and help organize it all. Some places at the top of my list are:
- Del Mar (for pretty much their entire menu)
- Lincoln Social (for the atmosphere, drinks, and desserts) #basic
- Service Bar (for their version of Taco Bell’s crunch weezy taco!)
- The Dublin Market (there’s so many vendors I’ve been dying to try @bakesbylo)
- Wunder bar (for the drinks and I need to jump on this pierogi train!)
- What’s (and where) the most memorable meal/dish you had recently?
I recently ate dinner at Barcelona in German Village. I’ve always loved this place but after discussing with the waitress, I decided to branch out of my comfort zone and order the scallops. When it comes to seafood I kind of proceed with caution (if you know what I mean) but holy crap the flavor and texture were life changing! Found out I still can’t quite stomach muscles though!
- Give us the inside scoop — what’s your favorite happy hour, hole in the wall, or hidden gem in Columbus?
Happy Hour = Forno! All starters, all pizza, and a number of drinks at 50% of the price, you really can’t beat it. I work downtown so Pins is always a good choice too. You can never go wrong with food trucks, alcohol bevs, and some games!
Hole in the wall / Hidden Gem = What the Waffle, which will be opening up a permanent location soon that I CANNOT wait for!
- What is your favorite locally made food product?
I have to go with Katalina’s pancake balls. They’re such a staple to the Columbus brunch scene and will never disappoint a single soul. Cannot forget about buckeye donuts either!
- Some of us are not full-time bloggers. If you are not, what is your “real” job?
I work for the retail real estate company, Washington Prime Group. I’m currently an assistant for the property management team and have been there for going on three years. Our flagship property here in Cbus is Polaris!
- Tell us an interesting fact about yourself!
I’ve been known to eat batter… like mix all the cake ingredients (without the eggs) and just eat it out of the bowl instead of baking it! I’ll get a stomach ache every time, but it’s just so yummy.
Erin, the Spiffy Cookie